Eating vegetarian in Seville is easier and more delicious than ever!
Don’t let the giant legs of jamón that are so prevalent around town scare you off. Despite its meat-loving appearance on the surface, Seville is actually quite vegetarian friendly. In fact, some of the city’s most popular tapas are completely meat free! You just have to know where to look and (most important) what to look for. This vegetarian guide to Seville will help you navigate one of Spain’s most incredible cities like a local—no meat required.
Handy words and phrases
Firstly, you’ll need to communicate your dietary needs to your server—in Spanish. Much easier said than done, right? Not to worry! The following words and phrases will come in handy in many dining situations in Seville.
Yo soy vegano/a. I am vegan.
Yo soy vegetariano/a. I am vegetarian.
Yo no como ni carne, ni pescado, ni huevos, ni productos lacteos. I don’t eat meat, fish, eggs or dairy products.
¿Me recomiendas algo rico por favor? Can you recommend me something tasty please?
Yo no puedo comer… I can’t eat…
Yo puedo comer… I can eat…
Leche de soja: Soy milk
Common vegetarian tapas in Seville
Now on to the fun part: the food! It wouldn’t be a vegetarian guide to Seville without some especially tasty tapas recommendations. Here are some common items you’ll see on menus across town that are 100 percent veggie friendly. By all means, try them all!
- Tortilla de patatas: Spain’s most prevalent and beloved food is as simple as it gets: potatoes, eggs, salt and occasionally onion. That’s right—it’s completely vegetarian! This is one tapa you’ll be able to find not just anywhere in Seville, but throughout all of Spain.
- Patatas bravas: Spaniards love their potatoes, and patatas bravas might be one of the most delicious ways to eat them. Crisp, fried-to-perfection potatoes topped with a spicy tomato-based sauce: what could be better? Some tapas bars also serve their bravas with mayonnaise or alioli, but ask for just the red sauce for an easy vegan modification.
- Salmorejo: Hailing from nearby Córdoba just an hour east of Seville, salmorejo is the perfect refreshing tapa for cooling off on the brutally hot days so common in southern Spain. While most people are more familiar with gazpacho, we love salmorejo for its thicker texture, making it much more filling and easy to eat as a full meal. The tomato-based puree itself is 100 percent vegan, but many bars and restaurants top their salmorejo with chunks of jamón and hard-boiled egg. Just ask for yours “sin jamón” and/or “sin huevo” respectively.
- Espinacas con garbanzos: Spinach and chickpeas—such a simple tapa, but so delicious! Many bars will put their own twist on this classic vegan recipe, which you can find just about anywhere in Seville.
Veggie-friendly restaurants in Seville
Seville might not win any awards for the city with the most strictly vegetarian restaurants. However, many places offer vegetarian menus and plant-based options that are still delicious! Next up on our vegetarian guide to Seville: where to eat (finally)!
- El Paladar: While not a totally vegetarian restaurant per se, this incredible little tapas bar offers a complete vegetarian menu. The friendly staff provide excellent service and are more than happy to make accommodations for dietary restrictions. Get there especially early to grab a good table!
Address: Calle Lumbreras, 14
- Gaia Centro Ecológico: This bright, welcoming space is home to a delicious, 100% meat-free menu! Owners Rosario and Pepe are especially passionate about healthy, sustainable living, and it truly shows in their restaurant. They also have a shop full of organic, plant-based products, so you can stock up while in Seville.
Address: Calle Luis de Vargas, 4
- La Chunga: A bit off the tourist-beaten path—however, this lively little tapas bar offers several vegetarian options. Locals love this eclectic, modern place for their great service, fun environment and undoubtedly delicious food. We recommend the salmorejo as well as the zucchini-parmesan risotto!
Address: Calle Arjona, 13
We hope you enjoyed our vegetarian guide to Seville! In the meantime, don’t forget to join us on a food tour! Each tour, such as our Tastes, Tapas & Traditions Tour, offers vegetarian options you’ll love as much as their meat-based counterparts. You’ll also learn about the city’s rich culture and meet the locals whose family-run businesses and homemade food are integral parts of Seville’s story. Hasta pronto!